Friday, November 15, 2013

Janelle’s 3 Layer Peanut Butter Bars


This is actually my friend's "secret family recipe" that she wasn't able to get until she married her husband.  Every time she would make it I loved it, but she wouldn't give up the recipe for anything.  Luckily, my Mom gave me their church cookbook for Christmas a few years ago, and I found it in there...  Lucky me! Their secret is no longer safe!  It takes longer than a simple pan of brownies, so I usually make them for special occasions or get-togethers.  I also make it for group gatherings because if the pan isn't gone, I have no problem eating the rest of it by myself! YUM!



First Layer:
1 c white corn syrup
2 c peanut butter (18 oz jar)
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 c rice krispies
3 c corn flakes

Melt the syrup, peanut butter, and brown sugar.  Add the vanilla after everything is melted and stirred together.  Add rice krispies and corn flakes.  Spread in a 10x15 jellyroll pan and cool.  (I do not have a jelly roll pan, so I use a 9x13 pan and a smaller pan for the rest).

Second Layer:
2 sticks margarine
6 Tbs milk
2 small pkgs instant vanilla pudding (dry)
4 c powdered sugar

Melt 2 sticks of margarine with the milk.  Add 2 packages of vanilla pudding mix and 4 c powdered sugar.  Use a mixer and mix until smooth.  Spread on 1st layer and refrigerate 1 hour.  (I have used 1 1/2 sticks of butter and 1/2 c milk and it still tastes good.  If it has less than 1 1/2 sticks though, it doesn't turn out quite right.)

Third Layer:
1 c chocolate chips
1 stick margarine

Melt chocolate chips and 1 stick margarine.  (I found it works to melt the chocolate chips first and then the margarine so you don't have melted butter and solid chocolate chips.  You can also cut down on the margarine a bit on this layer as well if you want, just not too much.)  Spread on top of the 2nd layer.  Cool and cut into 1 inch squares.

The bars can be frozen as well.  Make sure to keep them in the fridge because of the pudding layer.

Enjoy!

- Janelle, SCFCU Loan Officer


Stay tuned for more Employee recipes throughout the Holiday season!



No comments:

Post a Comment